Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot

Nov 28, 2009

Mission Icaros Laptop: Accomplished!

When I was younger, so much younger than today, I had two wet dreams: a date with Claudia Schiffer, and owming an Amiga notebook. While I am still waiting for Claudia to call me, I just realized the second one, at least from my current point of view. Some times ago I read a message from Yannick on Aros-Exec.org, where I got the description of the Compaq Evo N610c, a old but wonderul laptop completely supported by AROS. So I decided that I had to get one as well. I followed some bids on eBay, until I won one, and after two weeks of travel from England to Italy... it's finally mine! You can see the laptop in the picture on the top left corner of this article: I had to "patch" the keyboard (in the real meaning of the term) to meet the italian layout (buying a spare keyboard would cost me more than the whole laptop, while stickers worth their few bucks and do their duty). I had also to change the electric plug, but after these minimal hardware "modifications", I could enjoy my new computer. I've immediately installed the release candidate of Icaros Desktop Live! 1.1.6 (oh... did I mention version 1.1.6 is practically ready?) and now I finally have my own personal portable Amiga (-like) computer! Video is well supported by the VESA driver, AC97 sound works great, Intel Pro100 network is up and running, and processor grunt is just fine. Its only serious issue is the battery, since it's completely dead and I have to use the power cable. But maybe, some day, I will find a good replacement as well. So, what can I say? Thanks to Yannick for the hint, and if you want one like me... just follow the bay!

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot